1. Do not be ashamed or embarrassed to ask questions! Your health is important.
- Check them out before hand. Look at their: website, menu, reviews mentioning Gluten Free.
Don't be afraid to give them a call, you can ask:
- Do you have a gluten-free menu?
- What items can be made gluten-free?
- Do you know what gluten is?
- Do you cater for coeliacs? / Has your restaurant completed a gluten free training program, are all staff aware?
Ask questions politely, but ask
- Do you clean or is there a separate prep space for gluten-free food?
- Do you use clean or separate dishes and utensils for gluten-free food?
- Do you clean the grill before preparing gluten-free food?
- Is there a dedicated fryer or do you change the oil for gluten-free food?
- Make sure your waiter knows you're coeliac- it is most likely that a manager will come to take your order instead
Can't find a main meal you fancy? Why not try putting together a few GF starters instead?
3. If they're unsure, unaware or something doesn't sit right with you- move on! Somewhere else will be able to cater and look after you.
Don't be afraid to double check that it is your meal, and that it is in fact Gluten Free!
...and lastly... Enjoy!