Cross contamination occurs when Gluten Free foods come in contact with non gluten free foods
Why is it important?
EVEN tiny amounts of gluten, smaller than breadcrumbs, can cause people with coeliac disease to have symptoms in the short term and gut damage long term.
Practical steps to take at home:
- Wipe down surfaces properly
- Clean pots and pans with soap and water
- Get separate boards to keep GF and gluten containing foods separate
- Use a separate toaster or toaster bags
- Use clean oil or separate fryer for frying GF foods
- Cook GF food in separate pots and pans and serve with separate utensils
- Use different butter/jam knives or dishes to prevent breadcrumbs from getting into condiments